On Friday, 4th September 2015, a Dublin City Council plaque commemorating the founding of Shelbourne Football Club was unveiled in Dublin 4.
The plaque is located outside Slattery’s Public House (at the junction of Shelbourne Road and Bath Avenue) and was unveiled by the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Críona Ní Dhálaigh, and Chairman of Shelbourne Football Club, Joe Casey, with the ceremony hosted by broadcaster Ray Kennedy. Also in attendance were Kevin Humphreys T.D, Minister of State at the Department of Social Protection, local councillor Paddy McCartan, and members and supporters of Shelbourne Football Club.
It is widely believed that it was in Slattery’s (then known as Nolan’s) that a group of young men who lived in the Bath Avenue area of southeast inner-city Dublin founded Shelbourne F.C in 1895. Spurred on by successful local performances during the next two years, Shelbourne joined the senior ranks of Irish football in 1897, and in 1905 became professional.
Based at Drumcondra’s Tolka Park since 1989, Shelbourne have won the League of Ireland (of which they were a founding member in 1921) championship thirteen times and are one of only three teams to have won both the Irish Football Association Cup and the Football Association of Ireland Cup.
Those wishing to learn more about the history of one of Ireland’s oldest football teams should consult Christopher Sands’s book Shels. A Grand Old Team to Know. A History of Shelbourne Football Club since 1895 (Dublin, 2016).
You can also watch the presentation below by Dr James Curry, Dublin City Council historian in residence, which is part of a Plaques of Dublin online lecture series.
On Saturday, 13th February 2016, a Dublin City Council plaque commemorating 1916 Easter Rising casualty Edward Walsh was unveiled in Dublin 2.
The plaque is located outside the Royal Exchange Hotel, Parliament Street, and was unveiled by relatives of Edward Walsh and councillor Mícheál Mac Donncha, who in his speech described the Dublin carter as “a brave Irish patriot, a man who fought for and died for the freedom of the Irish people 100 years ago”.
A member of the Hibernian Rifles, Walsh was mortally wounded in the stomach at the beginning of the Easter Rising, close to the spot where the plaque is located. He was 43 years old and left behind a pregnant wife and two young children, who lived nearby at 8 Lower Dominick Street. Walsh’s wife Ellen gave birth to a third son, Edward Pearse Walsh, months after her husband had been buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.
The plaque ceremony was attended by four of Edward Walsh’s granddaughters and a great-grandson.
On Friday, 2nd October 2015, a Dublin City Council commemorative plaque honouring artist and portrait painter Leo Whelan was unveiled near the Mater Hospital.
The plaque is located at 65 South Eccles Street, where Whelan’s parents operated a small hotel and the artist lived most of his life. This residence is today occupied by ARC Cancer Support Centres. The plaque was unveiled by the then President of the Royal Hibernian Academy, Mick O’Dea, with Councillor Nial Ring speaking on behalf of Dublin City Council.
A prolific and successful artist, Whelan attended the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art after leaving school and was a student of Sir William Orpen, who had a significant influence on his artistic style. Exhibiting annually at the Royal Hibernian Academy from 1911 until his death in 1956, he became primarily known for his portraits of nationalist leaders and other leading figures from the spheres of academia, religion, society, medicine, and law. Among his political portraits were Michael Collins, Arthur Griffith, Kevin O’Higgins, Douglas Hyde, Seán T. O’Kelly and Éamon de Valera.
Whelan never married and died in a Dublin nursing home on 6th November 1956, at the age of 64. He is buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.