This plaque commemorates the founding of the Fitzwilliam Lawn Tennis Club. The club was founded in 1877 and its first home was at 24-25 Upper Pembroke Street, on premises leased to the club by Sir Francis Brady.
Find this plaque on Google maps.
The club quickly outgrew the premises and in 1880 moved to its current grounds on Appian Way, Dublin 6.
The plaque was unveiled by the Lord Mayor on 10 June 2023.
In 1879 the Fitzwilliam Lawn Tennis Club organised a national ladies’ championship, the first of its kind in the word.
The tournament was held at the club courts on Upper Pembroke Street, and is also marked by a Dublin City Council commemorative plaque.