S.S. Adela

Located on Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin 2, this plaque commemorates the sinking of the S.S. Adela in December 1917.

It was unveiled on 30th September 2017 by the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Michael Mac Donncha.

The S.S. (steamship) Adela was built in Glasgow for Tedcastle McCormick & Co. Ltd, her home berth being Sir John Rogerson’s Quay.

Serving the Dublin-Liverpool route, the Adela was sunk by a torpedo from the German U-Boat U-100 on 27th December 1917. Twenty-four lives were lost.

Dombrain, James

Located at 36 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2, D02 CD93, this plaque commemorates the founder of the Irish Coastguard, Sir James Dombrain.

Locate this plaque on Google maps.

During the Famine, hearing reports from his officers in the area, he sent relief to Clifden, Galway, for which he was reprimanded by the Treasury.

The plaque was unveiled on 23rd September, 2016.

Guinness Barge, last sailing

On Friday, 23rd July 2021, a Dublin City Council commemorative plaque honouring the last operational sailing of a Guinness Barge down the River Liffey was unveiled at Victoria Quay, Dublin 8, by the Deputy Lord Mayor of Dublin Joe Costello.

VIdeo presentation about the Guinness Barge plaque by historian James Curry.

This replaces an earlier plaque which was sponsored by Guinness and erected in 1992 by the Inland Waterways Association of Ireland, but since disappeared.

The new plaque unveiling ceremony was hosted by Deputy City Librarian Brendan Teeling, with Councillor Vincent Jackson also speaking on behalf of Dublin City Council’s Commemorative Naming Committee. The event’s other speakers were Jim O’Riordan (Chairman of Inland Waterways Association of Ireland) and Eibhlin Colgan (Guinness Archive Manager).

The last sailing of a Guinness barge from Victoria Quay to Custom House Quay took place on the evening of Friday, 23rd June 1961. For almost ninety years the brewery’s barges had been a familiar sight along the Liffey, transporting wooden barrels of Guinness to cross channel steamers stationed near the Custom House. One of the barges is mentioned in James Joyce’s novel Ulysses as omitting “a puffball of smoke” from its funnel as it passes under O’Connell Bridge.

Those wishing to learn more about the plaque and the story of the last Guinness Barge sailing along the River Liffey can watch the presentation below by Dr James Curry, Dublin City Council historian in residence, which is part of a “Plaques of Dublin” online lecture series.

S.S. Hare

plaque commemorating the sinking of the SS Hare in 1918

Located on the North Quays at the Sean O’Casey Bridge, this plaque commemorates the sinking of the S.S. Hare on 5th January 1918.

Locate this plaque on Google maps.

The S.S. Hare had been one of Larkin’s ‘food ships’, bringing food and other necessities from Britain for families of striking workers during the 1913 Lockout.

The ship was travelling from Manchester to Dublin when she was sunk by a German U-Boat with the loss of twelve lives.

The plaque was unveiled on 30th September 2017 by the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Michael Mac Donncha.