S.S. Adela

Located on Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin 2, this plaque commemorates the sinking of the S.S. Adela in December 1917.

It was unveiled on 30th September 2017 by the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Michael Mac Donncha.

The S.S. (steamship) Adela was built in Glasgow for Tedcastle McCormick & Co. Ltd, her home berth being Sir John Rogerson’s Quay.

Serving the Dublin-Liverpool route, the Adela was sunk by a torpedo from the German U-Boat U-100 on 27th December 1917. Twenty-four lives were lost.

Dombrain, James

Located at 36 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2, D02 CD93, this plaque commemorates the founder of the Irish Coastguard, Sir James Dombrain.

Locate this plaque on Google maps.

During the Famine, hearing reports from his officers in the area, he sent relief to Clifden, Galway, for which he was reprimanded by the Treasury.

The plaque was unveiled on 23rd September, 2016.

Dowden, Edward – poet & critic

Photograph of a Dublin City Council plaque commemorating Edward Dowden

On Sunday, 29th November 2015, a Dublin City Council commemorative plaque honouring the Irish poet and literary critic Edward Dowden (1843-1913) was unveiled in Ballsbridge.

The plaque is located at 50 Wellington Road, Dublin 4, where Dowden lived for several years, with Councillor Mícheál Mac Donncha speaking on behalf of Dublin City Council’s Commemorative Naming Committee.

Locate this plaque on Google maps.

Appointed to the newly created position of Chair of English Literature at Trinity College Dublin in 1867, Dowden quickly earned a reputation as an internationally respected literary critic and was an authority on William Shakespeare as well as figures such as Percy Bysshe Shelley and Robert Browning. A staunch unionist who was hostile to the Irish Literary Revival and growth of Irish nationalism during his later years, Dowden received honorary degrees from the Universities of Oxford, Edinburgh, and Princeton.

He married twice and had several children, with a daughter from his first marriage, Hester Meredith Dowden (1868-1949), going to become one of the most famous spiritualists and psychic investigators during the first half of the twentieth century. Those wishing to learn more about a figure described by author John Eglinton as “almost a saint to culture”, should consult the chapter ‘Edward Dowden: Irish Victorian’ in Terence Brown’s book Ireland’s Literature: Selected Essays (1989). You can reserve a copy of the book when Level 5 restrictions are lifted. 

Watch the presentation below by Dr James Curry, Dublin City Council historian in residence, which is part of a “Plaques of Dublin” online lecture series.

Submitted by Historian in Residence, James Curry.  

Ennis, Séamus – musician

Photograph of Dublin City Council plaque honouring Seamus Ennis

On the afternoon of Friday, 3rd May 2019, an official Dublin City Council commemorative plaque unveiling took place at the site of Séamus Ennis’s boyhood home in Finglas, which was demolished during the 1960s. 

This event occurred two days before the centenary of the birth of the renowned musician, singer, folklore collector and broadcaster who left behind, to quote from one 1982 obituary notice, “a priceless heritage of Irish tradition to the nation”.

The plaque was unveiled outside Burgess Galvin & Co. Ltd. on the Jamestown Road by Councillor Paul McAuliffe, representing the Lord Mayor of Dublin, with Ennis’s children Catherine and Christopher travelling from England for the occasion.  

A bronze plaque commemorating Ennis at the same site had previously been unveiled by John Gormley, Lord Mayor of Dublin, on Tuesday, 1st November 1994, during the inaugural Séamus Ennis Festival (Féile Shéamuis Ennis), a week-long Finglas celebration that included the renaming of a local road in Ennis’s honour. This earlier commemorative plaque was designed by Finglas sculptor Leo Higgins and stonemason Bobby Blount.

If you would like to learn more about Séamus Ennis, there is an essay on his life in the book History on your Doorstep, Volume 2. Six more stories of Dublin history (Dublin City Council, 2019), available at all branch libraries. Photo by Paddy Cahill. You can also watch the presentation by Dr James Curry, Dublin City Council historian in residence, which is part of a Plaques of Dublin online lecture series.

Fallon, Richard – Garda

Located at 24 Aran Quay, Dublin 7, D07 W620, this plaque honours Garda Richard Fallon, who was killed in the line of duty on 3rd April 1970.

Locate this plaque on Google maps.

On the morning of 3rd April, 1970, three armed men robbed the Royal Bank of Ireland, Arran Quay, Dublin. On arrival at the scene Garda Fallon, with two colleagues, Garda Paul Firth and Garda Patrick Hunter, were confronted by the raiders. As the Gardai moved  towards them all three of the raiders fired repeatedly at the Gardai. Garda Fallon attempted to arrest the gunman nearest to him when he was shot by one of the other raiders and was fatally wounded.

The plaque was unveiled on 22nd July, 2020.

Four Courts Garrison

Located at the Capuchin Mission Office, Church Street, Dublin 7, D07 NNH4, this plaque commemorates the Four Courts Garrison.

Locate this plaque on Google maps.

It is one of several plaques erected during the 1916 Centenary year to mark the garrison sites around the city, and to honour those who fought and died during the Rising.

The plaque was unveiled by Lord Mayor Críona Ní Dhálaigh on 12th July, 2016.

Guinness Barge, last sailing

On Friday, 23rd July 2021, a Dublin City Council commemorative plaque honouring the last operational sailing of a Guinness Barge down the River Liffey was unveiled at Victoria Quay, Dublin 8, by the Deputy Lord Mayor of Dublin Joe Costello.

VIdeo presentation about the Guinness Barge plaque by historian James Curry.

This replaces an earlier plaque which was sponsored by Guinness and erected in 1992 by the Inland Waterways Association of Ireland, but since disappeared.

The new plaque unveiling ceremony was hosted by Deputy City Librarian Brendan Teeling, with Councillor Vincent Jackson also speaking on behalf of Dublin City Council’s Commemorative Naming Committee. The event’s other speakers were Jim O’Riordan (Chairman of Inland Waterways Association of Ireland) and Eibhlin Colgan (Guinness Archive Manager).

The last sailing of a Guinness barge from Victoria Quay to Custom House Quay took place on the evening of Friday, 23rd June 1961. For almost ninety years the brewery’s barges had been a familiar sight along the Liffey, transporting wooden barrels of Guinness to cross channel steamers stationed near the Custom House. One of the barges is mentioned in James Joyce’s novel Ulysses as omitting “a puffball of smoke” from its funnel as it passes under O’Connell Bridge.

Those wishing to learn more about the plaque and the story of the last Guinness Barge sailing along the River Liffey can watch the presentation below by Dr James Curry, Dublin City Council historian in residence, which is part of a “Plaques of Dublin” online lecture series.