What is the Dublin City Council Commemorative Plaques Scheme?
Dublin City Council’s Commemorative Plaques Scheme is intended to facilitate the formal commemoration of people, organisations, and events that have made a unique and significant contribution to the life or history of Dublin through outstanding achievement, distinctive service or significant community contribution.
Who and what can be commemorated by a plaque?
Individuals, organisations, and events can be commemorated by a plaque, but there are some requirements:
- Proposals to commemorate living persons will not be considered
- Nominees will have to have died at least 20 years previously or have passed the centenary of their birth, whichever is earlier
- The person/s must have been born in or lived in Dublin or have had strong and/or enduring connections with the city
- The person/s must have made a unique and outstanding contribution to the life or history of Dublin through outstanding achievement, distinctive service or significant community contribution
- In the case of an event to be commemorated, this must have occurred in Dublin and the event will have to have occurred at least 20 years previously
- You must have the written permission of the owner of the building on which the plaque is to be erected
- In order to ensure the uniformity of Dublin City Council’s plaques, we have set a standard design, and word, character, and line limits
- The Irish language version will appear first on the plaque and the council will make the translation
- Dublin City Council will have the final decision as to the wording on the plaque
How can I propose that a plaque be erected?
You can propose that a plaque be erected by submitting the official application form but please see the note below before you do that.
What do I need to know before filling in the form?
To complete the application form you will need to:
- Submit details of the person/event/organisation to be commemorated
- Upload additional information about the person/event/organisation (Optional)
- Upload evidence of the agreement of living relatives of the person to erect the plaque (where applicable)
- Submit details of the building the plaque is to be erected on
- Upload a photograph of the building
- Upload evidence of the agreement of the owner of the building to erect the plaque
- Submit the proposed wording of the plaque